Saturday 10 May 2008

Create soft border

This Photoshop tutorial will teach you how to create a soft border around an image. This creates a white faded effect around the border and is useful if you want to soften up the borders of an image.
For this tutorial I used a free stock image of sun flowers which is available at: www.sxc.hu

Create soft border around image

Step 1

Open image in Photoshop.




Step 2

Select the rectangular marquee tool and draw a rectangle near the border of the image.




Step 3

Select the feather option which is select > feather. I chose 20px for the feather radius. You can experiment with a different radius if you wish. Then click Ok.




Step 4

Now chose select > inverse and then hit the delete key twice. Make sure the foreground colour is set to black.




You should now have a nice soft border around your image.

3 comments:

bumisebalo 17 June 2008 at 04:05  

nice and simple tutorial, i like it.

thanks

Nate and Ashley 22 September 2008 at 18:38  

The first few times I tried this it worked great! I loved it and started using it often. However, all of the sudden it has stopped working for me. No matter how many times I hit the backspace key the effect is very weak and won't get any darker (I'm trying to turn my edges black instead of white). I'm sure some setting must be off but I have no clue what it is. Can anyone help me?

iliketo 23 September 2008 at 03:31  

@Nathan

I think you are missing out step 3: Select > Feather from the drop down menu.

Also make sure you choose select > inverse before hitting the delete key twice.

  COPYRIGHT © 2010 · ILIKE2PHOTOSHOP · Theme by Ourblogtemplates

Back to TOP